Here’s a link to a speech I was asked to give at the NZ Sauvignon Blanc Celebration in Marlborough in January.
- Don’t chase volume at the expense of quality
- Work out where ‘Marlborough-ness’ comes from, and preserve it
- Take out poor wine from the market…. and destroy it.
- Only export bulk to people you trust to bottle it in top condition
- By all means explore regionality and aged styles at £12-£25 a bottle, but stick with ‘classic’ styles at £7 – £12
- Invest in premium labels and packaging to trade people up to higher prices